Prof Warren Rozen
Prof Warren Rozen
Prof Warren M Rozen MBBS BMedSc PGDipSurgAnat MD PhD FRACS (Plast)
Warren Rozen is a consultant plastic surgeon at Peninsula Health and Eastern Health in Victoria, specialising in general reconstruction and reconstructive microsurgery. He is a clinical Professor at Monash University, and head of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery research at both Peninsula Health and Eastern Health. He is also a member of the Human Research Ethics Committee at Peninsula Health.
Warren completed his undergraduate medical and surgical training (MBBS) at the University of Melbourne, and since then has gone on to complete postgraduate studies in surgical anatomy and plastic and reconstructive surgery. This has culminated in a Postgraduate Diploma of Surgical Anatomy (PGDipSurgAnat), a Bachelor of Medical Science (BMedSc) and a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) at the University of Melbourne, and a Doctor of Medicine (MD) at James Cook University.
In that time, Warren has published over 700 peer reviewed publications and has given over 200 national and international research presentations, having been invited as keynote and guest speaker to international conferences on the topic of surgical anatomy and reconstructive surgery. He has since been given editorial board positions on 9 international journals including the Annals of Plastic Surgery, Microsurgery, Australasian Journal of Plastic Surgery, and Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery.
He received his associate professorship in 2010 at James Cook University, and full professorship at Monash University in 2017. He has been supervisor to 29 postgraduate students, including PhD, Master of Surgery, Master of Medicine, Science Honour and Advanced Medical Science/Bachelor of Medical Science Students. Warren is also senior author and /or editor of 40 textbook / textbook chapters in reconstructive surgery and has received over 60 awards for his work.
Warren’s research has developed original contributions in the fields of surgical anatomy and reconstructive surgery, including:
- Original description of Computed Tomographic Angiography (CTA) for vascular mapping in the preoperative imaging of perforator flaps.
- Original description of Magnetic Resonance Angiography (MRA) for vascular mapping in the preoperative imaging of perforator flaps.
- First description of Stereotactic, Image-Guided Virtual Surgery (both CT-Guided and MR-Guided Stereotaxy) for vascular mapping for both the preoperative and intraoperative imaging of perforator flaps.
- First description of several reconstructive flaps, including the Superior Thyroid Artery Perforator Flap and the Free Vascularised Hemi-Hamate flap.
Currently in clinical practice in the field of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Warren combines a career of clinical work and translational research.
Areas of research and scholarly interests
- Breast surgery, breast reconstruction and oncologic surgery
- Preoperative imaging and radiological advances
- Basic-science anatomical research / Cadaveric research
- 3D Printing and volumetric analysis
- Dupuytren’s disease
H-index Score – 32
Current clinical research projects
- “Virtual and Augmented Reality Technology for Operative Planning in Reconstructive Surgery” – Doctor of Philosophy Degree (Rachna Ram), Monash University.
- “The Investigation of Fat Necrosis Following Breast Reconstruction: A Comparison of Techniques” Master of Surgery Degree (Harmeet Bhullar) – Monash University.
- “A Multicentre Comparison of Techniques in Collagenase in the Management of Dupuytrens Disease” – Advanced Medical Science / Bachelor of Medical Science (Jessica Paynter) – Monash University.
- “3D Printed Patient Specific Trapezial Implants In Treatment Of Base Of Thumb Arthritis” – Master of Surgery Degree (Alex Kerridge) – Monash University.
- “Patient Reported Outcome Measures in Dupuytrens Disease Management” – Master of Surgery Degree (Bethany Reynolds) – Monash University.
- “Inter-Individual Variation in the Anatomy of the Trapezium: The Role for Imaging and 3D Printing” Master of Surgery Degree (Dasun Ganhewa) – Monash University.
- “Orbital and Maxillofacial Fracture Burden with Substance Intoxication” Master of Medicine Degree (Jon Low) – Monash University.
- “Fat Necrosis in the DIEP Flap: A Perforasome-Based Analysis” (Rachel Leung) – Monash University.
- “Surgical Findings After Collagenase Treatment in Dupuytren’s Disease: A Clinical Study” – Master of Surgery Degree (Joon Park) – Monash University.
- “Correlation between Lederhouse disease and Dupuytrens Disease” – Master of Surgery Degree (Imeldah Motorolla) – Monash University.
- “Patient Reported Outcomes (PROMS) in Breast Reduction Surgery” – Master of Surgery Degree (Amanda Shen) – Monash University.
- “Keloid Scars: Natural History of Monitoring of Growth Patterns” – Master of Surgery Degree (Mohit Jain) – Monash University.
- “A Prospective Trial of Probiotics for Haematoma Risk in Tonsillectomy” – Master of Surgery Degree (Michael Nasserallah) – Monash University.