Selection for Training
Selection for Training
Last Updated: 26 October 2020
Trainees for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery are selected on a competitive basis. Strict eligibility criteria apply and are published annually on The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) website. The P&RS Regulations for Selection are subject to annual review, and are published on this page each November.
All enquiries must be sent in writing to email@example.com.
2021 Selection: Opens Feb 24th, 2021
Important changes from the 2020 selection regulations (October 2020)
Documentation valid dates for the structure CV tool:
- The Clinical Examination (CE) is not a pre-requisite for the 2021 selection process (2022 intake). The Board has delayed the plan for the CE to be a pre-requisite for selection until 2022. i.e. the 2023 intake.
- Relevant dates can be found in section 2.1.
- Last five (5) years means 25 March 2016 to 24 March 2021, inclusive.
- Last three (3) years means 25 March 2018 to 24 March 2021, inclusive.
- Last two (2) years means 25 March 2019 to 24 March 2021, inclusive.
- Research presentations accepted prior to 24 March 2021, inclusive, may be creditworthy. Research presentations (oral or poster) are restricted to the last five years (5.8.8.).
- Applicants will be limited to three eligible attempts (section 2.8). An “eligible attempt” is defined as an application that has been determined to satisfy the Minimum Eligibility Requirements.
- Referee Report feedback will be conducted remotely (telephone or virtually). ASPS strongly recommends applicants carefully read section 6 of the published Selection Regulations (tba).
- Valid referees nominations must not include current Board of PRS Members.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Selection Initiative
One training position is reserved to support selection opportunities for candidates who identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders (ATSI) and who reach the minimum standard for selection.
RACS Clinical Examination – future minimum eligibility requirement
In 2021 (for the 2022 intake), the RACS Clinical Examination will become a minimum eligibility requirement for selection into Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Contact RACS Examination Department for more information on examination dates, locations and costs.
- 2021 Selection Regulations for Selection into 2021 Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery SET: to be advised
(Previous year: 2020 Selection Regulations for Selection into 2021: Download)
- 2021 Selection Referee Contact Details: to be advised
- Interview Declaration: to be advised
- Interview Guide for Candidates: to be advised
- Training Agreement: Download
- Training Variation: Download
Key Dates for 2021
|Selection Registration Opens||Wednesday 6 January 2021 12:00pm AEDT|
|Selection Registration Closes||Wednesday 3 February 2021 5:00pm AEDT|
|Selection Application Opens||Wednesday 24 February 2021 12:00pm AEDT|
|Selection Application Closes||Wednesday 24 March 2021 12:00pm AEDT|
|Interviews||June / July 2021|
|Announcement of offers (Australia)||Monday 26 July 2021|
|Last Date for Offers||Friday 12 November 2021|
Application Processing Fee
All applicants will be charged a non-refundable application processing fee which must be paid at the time of application.
The 2021 fee is to be advised
Support for Applicants
Should the SET application process raise difficulties for you or feeling that you do not know how to deal with, ASPS suggests you to seek out support and advice from these or other related organisations.
Beyond Blue support services: