Selection for SET
Selection for SET
Last Updated: 19 July 2021
Trainees for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery are selected on a competitive basis. Strict eligibility criteria apply and are published annually on The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) website. The P&RS Regulations for Selection are subject to annual review, and are published on this page each November.
All enquiries must be sent in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notice of planned changes
Notice date: 18 March 2021
By 2023, the Board intends to exclude online Master of Surgery degrees as being creditworthy for selection points.
2021 Selection: Opens Feb 24th, 2021
19 July 2021: Training Agreement updated and published.
25 February & 8 March 2021: An error in the Referee Reporting template has been corrected.
23 February 2021: Published – interviewee declaration, interviewing guidelines, and referee contact sheet
26 November 2020: Regulations for 2021 are approved and published online.
Important changes for the 2021 selection round
- The Clinical Examination (CE) is not a pre-requisite for the 2021 selection process (2022 intake). The Board has delayed the planned transition of the CE to be a pre-requisite for selection until 2022. i.e. the 2023 intake.
- Relevant dates can be found in section 2.1.
- Applicants will be limited to three eligible attempts (section 2.8). An “eligible attempt” is defined as an application that satisfies the Minimum Eligibility Requirements.
- Referee Report will be conducted by remote interview (telephone or virtual). Carefully read section 6 of the Selection Regulations.
- Valid referees nominations must not include current Board of PRS Members.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Selection Initiative
One training position is reserved to support selection opportunities for candidates who identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders (ATSI) and who reach the minimum standard for selection. Refer to section 4 of the Selection Regulations.
- 2021 Selection Regulations for Selection into 2022 SET Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery program: Download
(Previous year: 2020 Selection Regulations: Download)
- 2021 Selection Referee Contact Details: Download (updated 8/3)
- Interview Declaration: Download
- Interview Guide for Candidates: Download
- Training Agreement: Download (updated 19 July 2021)
- Training Variation: Download
Key Dates for 2021
|Selection Registration Opens (RACS)||Wednesday 6 January 2021 12:00pm AEDT|
|Selection Registration Closes (RACS)||Wednesday 3 February 2021 5:00pm AEDT|
|Selection Application Opens (ASPS)||Wednesday 24 February 2021 12:00pm AEDT|
|Selection Application Closes (ASPS)||Wednesday 24 March 2021 12:00pm AEDT|
|Referee Reporting||April through May 2021|
|Interviews||June 2021 |
(subject to COVID-restrictions)
|Latest Announcement of Offers Date||Monday 26 July 2021|
|Last Date for Offers||Friday 12 November 2021|
All applicants will be charged a non-refundable application fee which must be paid at the time of application.
The 2021 fee is $860.00 (in GST)
Support for Applicants
Should the SET application process raise difficulties for you or feeling that you do not know how to deal with, ASPS suggests you to seek out support and advice from these or other related organisations.
Beyond Blue support services: